Norway is actively working towards building a circular battery economy, which aims to extend the life of batteries and reduce the environmental impact of battery production and disposal. Here are a few ways in which Norway is working towards this goal:
- Battery recycling: Norway has implemented a number of initiatives to encourage battery recycling. For example, in 2019 the country’s parliament passed a law mandating the recycling of at least 40% of all batteries sold by 2024.
- Battery collection: Norway has set up a number of battery collection points throughout the country, making it easy for residents to recycle their used batteries. This helps to increase the overall recycling rate and reduce the amount of batteries that end up in landfills.
- Battery research and development: Norway is investing in research and development to improve battery recycling technologies and increase the amount of valuable materials that can be recovered from used batteries.
- Circular economy business models: Norway is also encouraging the development of circular economy business models for batteries, such as second-life battery systems, where used batteries are repurposed for new uses.
- Government grants and incentives: The government of Norway is providing grants and incentives to support companies that are working to develop circular battery economy solutions.
- Promotion of electric vehicles: Government is also promoting the use of electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids, as well as investing in charging infrastructure and providing incentives for buyers of electric vehicles. This is also to increase demand for batteries and battery recycling.
- Partnership with the private sector: Norway’s Government is also partnering with private companies, researchers and organizations to develop new solutions and opportunities for circular battery economy.
Overall, Norway is taking a multi-faceted approach to building a circular battery economy, including implementing recycling regulations, investing in research and development, supporting circular economy business models, promoting electric vehicles, and working with the private sector.
The efforts from the Norwegian government demonstrate the importance of a circular economy approach to address the increasing demand for batteries and to minimize the environmental impact on the long term.