Life Cycle Emission Calculator (Electric & ICE Scooters)
Kilometers Traveled (Kms):
|Electric Scooter||Petrol/ICE Scooter|
|Manufacturing Emissions||Electric Scooter||Petrol Scooter|
|Production Emissions:||kg CO2||kg CO2|
|Battery Manufacturing Emissions:||kg CO2||kg CO2|
|Operational Emissions||Electric Scooter||Petrol Scooter|
|Well-to-Tank Emissions:||kg CO2||kg CO2|
|Tank-to-Wheel Emissions:||kg CO2||kg CO2|
|Life Cycle Emissions||Electric Scooter||Petrol Scooter|
|Total Lifecycle Emissions:||kg CO2||kg CO2|
Life-cycle GHG savings compared to ICE: %
|1||GHG emissions corresponding to the production and recycling of the vehicles based on curb weight||5.2 kg CO2 eq. per kg||ICCT|
|2||Well to Tank emissions (Petrol Vehicle)||0.64 kg CO2 eq./L||ICCT|
|3||Tank to Wheels carbon intensity (Petrol Vehicle)||2.17 kg CO2 eq./L||ICCT|
|4||Well to Tank emissions (electricity production)||767 g CO2 eq./kWh||ICCT|
|5||GHG emissions for batteries production||69 kg CO2 eq. /kWh||ICCT|
|6||GHG emissions for battery end of life stage||8.28 kg CO2 eq. /kWh||@12% of production|
A PEFCR battery study
Points to Consider
- All the calculation are applicable for Indian Scenario
- Currently, key brands (Ola Electric, Ather Energy, TVS Motors) are claiming a battery lifespan of 7 years or 50,000 to 60,000 kilometers for battery packs in electric scooter. Given the typical vehicle lifespan of 15 years, an additional battery pack would need to be replaced within the electric scooter’s lifecycle. Therefore, the emission factor for replacement battery pack is taken into account in the calculations.
- The Battery Second-life data is not available for the Indian scenario; however, it will be included in the calculations in the future when reliable data becomes available.
- Comparing the top scooters in their respective segments, the Electric Ola S1 Air achieves a 36.28% higher life-cycle GHG reduction than the ICE-based Activa 6g. This assessment considers a scooter covering 120,000 kms distance in its lifecycle.
- The ICE-based Activa 6G has a lower carbon footprint than the Ola S1 Air in the initial two years or for distances traveled below 15,000 kilometers.
- ICE-based scooters account for 60% of India’s petrol consumption, making the transition to electric scooters a crucial step in improving air quality, particularly in densely populated urban areas, since electric scooters produce zero tailpipe emissions.