The National Organic Program (NOP) establishes national standards for organic agricultural products. These standards ensure that any product labeled as “organic” meets strict guidelines and requirements.
To be certified as organic, farmers and processors must follow the NOP rules, which include:
- Using only approved methods of pest and weed control
- Refraining from using genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Providing outdoor access and pasture for animals
- Refraining from using synthetic hormones or antibiotics
- Using only approved materials in soil and nutrient management
- Keeping detailed records of all practices and inputs
Additionally, the NOP conducts on-site inspections and audits to ensure compliance with the rules. They also provide education and technical assistance to help farmers and processors meet the standards.